Spiced Aubergine Salsa
100ml olive oil
½ tsp whole coriander seeds
¼ tsp whole cumin seeds
7 cardamon seeds
5 shallots, peeled and diced
200g eggplant, peeled and diced
3 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp sherry vinegar
1½ tbsp garam masala
1 tomato, seeded and diced
1 tbsp (each) minced chives, parsely and mint
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
300g salmon fillet (skin on), halved
100g sea salt
100g granulated sugar
4 quail eggs
20g mixed herbs salad (frisee, tarragon,
chervil and coriander)
1 tsp lemon juice
2 tsp olive oil
30g oscietra caviar
2 tsp parsley oil
• Heat 100ml olive oil in a saute pan; add coriander, cumin, and cardamon seeds and keep stirring with a wooden spatula until seeds begin to pop. Add diced shallots and cook over medium low heat until it the mixture turns translucent. Add the diced eggplant and cook for about 3 to 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in 3tbsp olive oil, sherry vinegar and garam masala.
• During service, add in diced tomatoes and all the minced herbs. Season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
• Marinate the salmon with sea salt and granulated sugar for 4 hours.
• Cook the quail eggs for 2 minutes 15 seconds in boiling water; then immediately submerge in ice
bath. Peel and reserve.
• Wash the marinated salmon and pat dry. Smoke the marinated salmon (skin side down) for 6 to 8 minutes. Peel the skins from smoked salmon and cut into 3-mm to 4-mm slices.
• Arrange aubergine salsa on each serving plate and top with sliced smoked salmon. Toss mixed herb salad in lemon juice and olive oil and season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Garnish with quail eggs and caviars. Drizzle parsley oil around the plate.
*This recipe can be found in May-June 2006 Issue.